Re: bad ABI version?

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Sven Hartge wrote:

>> - how to pin pacakges to a specific version

> I am not a fan of pinning.  Generally people try to use it to keep a
> mixed system.

Pinning in this context was not meant to have a mixed system but as a
method to keep a specific version of a package out our the system, for
example libsane-common=1.0.24-10, whose preinst is broken.

aptitude has forbid-version, which can be used to blacklist a special
version of a package to get isntalled, but apt/apt-get do unfortunately
not have such an option. (If they do, I'd really like to hear about it!)

> Building packages does not *require* pbuilder/cowbuilder/sbuild but
> being able to build your own packages by some method is a very useful
> and needed skill.

No, they don't require that, but it is nice to have proper package with
the correct dependencies and to not have to clutter the normal system
with all build-deps.

> I would probably add other skills to the list such as being able to
> use either apt-get or aptitude (my preference is apt-get and friends)
> at a deep level to upgrade and downgrade when the system needs manual
> attention for it.  Other things too.

Yes.

 - be able to use the lower-level tools of the package manager to
   fix the system

S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.