Re: bad ABI version?

Dale Harris wrote:
>  xserver-xorg-video-intel : Depends: xorg-video-abi-18
>  E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

xorg-video-abi-18 is provided by xserver-xorg-core=2:1.16.4-1 however
that has been replaced in Sid by xserver-xorg-core=2:1.17.1-2 which
provides xorg-input-abi-21, xorg-video-abi-19 and not 18 anymore.

This appears to make xserver-xorg-video-intel uninstallable in Sid.
However I think the functionality might have migrated.  I see that I
no longer have it installed on my system and yet I am still running X
okay.

But perhaps that is because it maybe happened recently and I haven't
logged out for a while.  My system could be dead and doesn't know it
yet.  Meaning that I am going to be logging out this evening and
testing carefully.  I have this Intel graphics adapter.

  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

And am using the driver (from /var/log/Xorg.0.log):

  [   176.914] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:
        i810, i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G,
        915G, E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM,
        Pineview G, 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33,
        GM45, 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, HD Graphics,
        HD Graphics 2000, HD Graphics 3000, HD Graphics 2500,
        HD Graphics 4000, HD Graphics P4000, HD Graphics 4600,
        HD Graphics 5000, HD Graphics P4600/P4700, Iris(TM) Graphics 5100,
        HD Graphics 4400, HD Graphics 4200, Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 5200

Is my system dead but doesn't know it yet?  I will find out tonight.

> Is xserver-xorg-core just out of date?  Any suggestions on how to fix
> this? I did try reinstalling xserver-xorg-core but with no luck.

Two hints.  As a Sid user you should have both Sid and Testing entries
in your sources.list file.  (Use of contrib and non-free is at your
descretion.)

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian sid main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian sid main contrib non-free

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian testing main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian testing main contrib non-free

This allows Sid users to operate over transitions in Sid.  For example:

  $ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-core
  xserver-xorg-core:
    Installed: 2:1.17.1-2
    Candidate: 2:1.17.1-2
    Version table:
   *** 2:1.17.1-2 0
          500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2:1.16.4-1 0
          500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages

At times of transitions it will be necessary to remove packages from
Sid making things temporarily uninstallable.  I don't know if this is
one of those times but when it is that allows pulling packages from
Testing when the package is removed from Sid.

Secondly are you aware of http://snapshot.debian.org/ ?  That allows
deep archive and recovery of previous versions of packages.  If there
is severe breakage (temporary of course) then one can reach into
snapshot.debian.org and retrieve a working snapshot of previous
versions of the packages.  Then hold those packages until the
transition in Sid is completed.  Then unhold those packages and move
forward to the later ones in Sid.

Look through /var/log/dpkg.log and determine what and when happened.
That will allow you to know what you need to downgrade to in order to
return to a functioning system.  Downgrade those specific versions
from snapshot.

Bob