Re: Help with ddrescue

On 5/8/2015 10:20 AM, German wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:10:38 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

On 08/05/15 10:32 AM, German wrote:
Hi list. Ok, now I have a spare 2TB USB drive where I can save .img
file. Is that the right procedure? Do I have make a snapshot of
failed drive and transfer it as a .img file to a spare drive,
correct? R-studio for linux can display files of failed drive
( TestDisk coudn't do it ). So now I think I'll proceed. What is
exact command to do it with ddrescue and what file system the spare
drive has to be formated? Thank you very much!

You can try ddrescue if=/dev/sdb1 of=failed.img where /dev/sdb1 would
be the partition that you want to recover.

Using 'dd' would be 'dd if=something of=something' ddrescue is
'ddrescue [options] [source] [destination] [logfile]'

Thanks, but some clarification is needed. Now I have two drives, failed
and a spare. Both are 2TB in size. Failed drive probably has 1.6 TB
data I'd like to recover. It has only one partition I suppose. So, if
failed drive is for instance /dev/sdb and spare drive is for
isntance /dev/sdc, the right command will be ddrescue if=/dev/sdb
of=/dev/sdc/failed.img ? And also, you didn't answer this, what file
system the a spare drive ahs to be formated?
Thanks.

First I would use fdisk to see the size of the drives, not all 2 terabyte drives will be identical in size

fdisk -l

-l tells fdisk to list the drives.

If the destination is larger, no issues, if it is smaller, might still work but may lead to issues later on.

Going directly from one device to another, you have to use the force option to overwrite the destination.

ddrescue --force /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /home/someusername/ddrescue.log

If you go to an image, then you would have to mount the location ahead of time and specify a filename.

ddrescue /dev/sdb /mnt/sdc1/rescued.img /home/someusername/ddrescue.log

Here is a link to a guide...

https://www.technibble.com/guide-using-ddrescue-recover-data/

There is a possibility that going device to device ddrescue might get enough to make a working clone, but I would go into it with the assumption that either way you will need to run recovery software and have
yet another drive to recover to.

The disadvantage of running recovery software on a failing disk, is the more you do to the disk the higher
the risk it will get worse.

The advantage of creating an image or clone is that once you have a copy on a good drive can keep trying different recovery options without having to worry about the drive getting worse.

The disadvantage is that you need space that is equal to the size of the old drive plus room for all the files
you want to recover.

Later, Seeker