Re: A stop job is running for...

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015, David Wright wrote:
> Which data do you mean?

For example, a database server[1] which has a transaction outstanding or
needs a long time to write to disk for an orderly shutdown.

> By the time these Stop jobs start running, there are just system
> processes running. I don't really care about them as long as the
> filesystems get unmounted.

The issue here are the system processes, which in some cases need more
time to shut down.

1: To the best of my knowledge, the sysv init scripts for postgresql and
mysql actually handle this properly, so this is more of a theoretical
example.

I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"
The American will to consume more and produce more personified in a
stick of gum. I grab it.
 -- Chad Dickerson