Re: Differences Between ThinkPad Models

On 12/04/2015 01:07 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Friday 04 December 2015 17:46:52 Bob Holtzman wrote:
On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 09:36:59AM +0100, mourik jan heupink wrote:
On 12/04/2015 05:28 AM, Erick Ocrospoma wrote:
I currently have one T440p Lenovo. It's a rock solid, with a nice
keyboard. In depends mostly on
your needs, T series are for long usage (uptime). Supported on Linux,
I've played here with Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.

I currently have a t430s, but it will be my last lenovo. I agree on
compatibility: no issues there. But I strongly disagree on build
quality. Mine is NOT rock solid at all. During the first months the
two front corners already broke, with cracks running towards the
keyboard.

Plus: it was not covered by the warranty. (note: it's a rather
expensive laptop (euro 1400) and you'd expect a but better (less
plastic) build quality.

Previously i had dell latitude 4300, and it lasted much longer,
without any damage, and generally felt much sturdier. The lenovo
feels very plastic, and also sounds like that if you tap it with
your fingernails.

So first and last lenovo for me.

My exact thoughts. My T420 is so flexible that you have to be careful
when you pick it up so as not to pop the cd drive open. Too bad. I'm
told the earlier ones, when IBM was still in the picture, were rock
solid. Maybe if I cxould find a used T60......

I think they do two grades now.  The more expensive ones are reputed still to
be good.

Lisi

Interesting how perceptions on physical build quality of computer systems differ.

I've not particularly cared for plastic cases on laptops/notebooks since the *early* Toshibas. Those things were indestructible. I actually fell on top of a T1200 in a mud puddle and continued to use it for years afterward. (Don't ask. Let it suffice to say I am a master of face planting.)

I've had two Dell Inspirons which actually decayed into pieces over a short time (never dropped). Thinking I'd have better luck with Dell's business grade stuff, I bought a Dell Precision laptop (metal casing and frame) which was absolute junk. The casing and frame were fine, but it experienced multiple motherboard and drive failures. I tossed it in the recycle bin 2 years after I purchased it.

My Lenovo T520i is plastic. Yeah, it sounds like plastic when you tap the hand rest of lid with your fingernails, but the frame doesn't flex at all when I carry it. I've had it twice as long as the Dell Precision. It cost about 1/5th as much as the Dell, and it's had one failure -- a mechanical failure of a key. Lenovo sent me a replacement keyboard and instructions two years after purchase, no questions asked.

It was also easy to buy the Lenovo with no OS installed. I've never found a way to get Dell to cooperate on that matter -- at least not on any of the models I wanted to buy.

The IBM IdeaPads and/or R models always seemed to exhibit a lower grade of construction quality than the ThinkPads. I think the lines between the Lenovo consumer grade and business grade equipment may have become a little blurred since then. My observation only. No data to back this up other than what I've witnessed directly in stores and at the publishing company where I used to work, which is obviously not anything like an industry-wide reliability survey.

The only problem I see with the plan outlined in the OP is that flashing the free BIOS can brick the system. I see a lot of caveats at that site. Still might be worth the risk. I've been thinking of buying one of the gluglug refurbished units. But maybe I'll try this instead.