Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Sat, October 17, 2015 2:48 pm, Joe wrote:
> I have an Acer Aspire One, unfortunately with the original very slow
> 8GB SSD, but it runs Debian unstable usably. It has wifi ...

I have a slow laptop, but closed it measures 10in x 15in x 1.5in and
weighs 6 pounds.  The large screen is nice regarding visibility, but the
machine is too big and too heavy for use in the car, even if the passenger
is willing to hold in in his/her lap.  And the first time you hit the
brakes and the machine slides off the seat onto the floor, the machine
likely gets damaged.  And even if the car is stopped on the side of the
road or in a parking lot, it is difficult for the driver to reach over and
pick up the machine.  And even if he can reach over and pick it up, the
steering wheel prevents the machine from being placed in the lap of the
driver.

But a machine about the size of the eeePC should be usable in the car.

> Netbooks do still exist, but cost as much as real (15"+) laptops.
> something I could carry all the time. With, as you say, an entirely
> separate and definitely extremely stupid phone.

A simple but usable machine which is with you all the time can be worth
infinitely more than a better machine which is not practical to carry.

Russ