Re: systemd alternative for Jessie?

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:47:48PM +0200, Arno Schuring wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 22:26:53 +0200
> > From: george@nsup.org
> >
> > Le tridi 23 vendémiaire, an CCXXIV, Arno Schuring a écrit :
> >> It's been years since I've seen a system where the OS boot took longer
> >> than the BIOS boot. Linux or Windows alike.
> >
> > You may have noticed that the operator between the time for the POST and the
> > time for the OS boot is +, not max().
>
> Of course. But when your BIOS boot time is 15 seconds, it hardly makes
> any difference if your OS boots in 3 seconds or in 2.1 seconds, does it?

It can take our hardware RAID cards upwards of five minutes. We
reboot about once a month for kernel upgrades; several months if
we're lucky.

Meanwhile, a Wheezy desktop with a cheap SSD boots from cold to
usable in less than 19 seconds, which is less than the 30
seconds it takes a TCP session to consider timing out.

-dsr-