Re: systemd alternative for Jessie?

Hi,

tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> writes:
> i read the piece on installing  without systemd. i get the feeling
> that the bottom line of it is: good luck. or am i missing something?

> On 10/13/15, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tend to be wandering around way out in left field a lot, but
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd

The linked note explains how to do the *initial* installation without
systemd which seems a bit complicated. If you want to use some other
init implementation, I would recommend doing a regular install and then
replacing systemd-sysv as described on [1].

  [1] <https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser#systemd>

> who  decided that Debian shd be locked to systemd?

It's not.

> what did they do to poll the views of the user community on the question?

If you want to know how Debian's technical committee came to choose
systemd as the default init, see [2].

  [2] <https://bugs.debian.org/727708>

> is it true that Red Hat had a major influence on the Debian decision makers?

No. As far as I know that conspiracy theory is about as true as the
other one about the moon landings being fake. ;)

> from what i've read so far, systemd is still very much in beta at
> best. wd people on this list agree with that?

No.

Ansgar