RE: systemd alternative for Jessie?

> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 17:05:16 +0300
> From: moonshine@openmailbox.org
>
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 07:49:08 -0500
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> What has the end-user, with a single machine, gained today from
>> the adoption of systemd?
>
> Speaking for myself:
> 1. It took me an hour of googling to write my own working init script.
> It takes me 10 minutes to write my own systemd unit.

The last time I wrote an init script:

- copy /etc/init.d/skeleton
- edit the DAEMON= and DESC= lines

> 2. Boot times improved.

It's been years since I've seen a system where the OS boot took longer
than the BIOS boot. Linux or Windows alike.

As additional anecdata: my systems  consistently boot to
systemd-rescue mode whenever I try systemd. This is because I make
heavy use of auto-unlockable encrypted volumes, and systemd doesn't
support auto-unlocking. I finally got around to moving all my unlock
scripts to the initramfs, only to find that the effort was futile:
even if a volume is already unlocked, systemd drops to a rescue
shell. Immediately typing 'exit' in the rescue shell boots the system
to completion without further errors.

Well, not a problem, right? Systemd was said to be modular, so I'll
just uninstall the systemd cryptsetup component. Har har.

So for all of my systems, systemd doesn't even work. I hope you
understand I don't care about boot time when the boot is unsuccesful.

Regards,
Arno