Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

> This seems very strange- if you are able to get the free version to boot you
> should be able to get the non-free ISO to boot as well. They are identical,
> save the inclusion of non-free firmware.
 Yes.

> The 'no bootable device' message- does this occur when you select the hard
> drive as the boot device, or the USB? The hard drive is understandable (since
> there is no longer a boot loader or operating system on it) but this really
> should not happen with the USB. Can you describe your BIOS settings to us?
> UEFI, Secure Boot, CSM, that sort of thing.

The 'no bootable device' came with an attempted boot from the hard disk (actually an SSD).  I have disabled secure boot.  I do not have the laptop with me so I will check that when I get back to it.

> I would also recommend you prepare the boot device with Rufus. It is by far the
> best USB ISO writer for Windows. Pity you don't have access to a UNIX box with
> dd...

I am using Rufus.  I do have a stretch installation on a desktop. But I have not attempted to build an installation disk from there.  But I am very will to try that.  Some details on links would be great.

> > > Your second suggestion I think is probably what actually happened. During
> > > the 'hardware detection' phase of the installation process (where as you
> > > noted, there are indeed no buttons), it can sometimes hang for a bit,
> > > usually for a few seconds. It can take up to a few minutes on some
> > > machines, though. Be patient.
> >
> > I will apply another dose of patience.  Thank you.
>
> Good luck.

When the page presents a yes/no selection for providing media with the drivers, I select either yes or no, the screen blanks for a moment and then returns - the same screen.  So it seems to have completed some process but has without seeing the 'next' button, I can not progress.

I can not see these, I believe, due to the high display resolution handling.  When the installation method selection screen pops up, everything is 'normally' sized.  As soon as I select either GUI or text, everything becomes very small and spread across the screen.  Is there a way I can control this?