Re: Boxed W8/W10 PC; must anything be done, first, to enable dual-bootable later?

On 26/09/2015 17:58, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2015-09-26 at 12:42, Ron Leach wrote:

I see:

SD host controller Intel .. MIPI-HSI controller [8086:0f50]
Subsystem HP company device [103c:8023]
Kernel driver: sdhci-pci

This is not a SATA/etc. controller; it appears to be an SD-card
controller.

Very possibly; the machine has a separate SD card slot.

The HD is solid state, I think it's referred to as an SSD.

I've loaded the basic (non graphical) Jessie 8.2 Live CDimage on a USB stick.

Sadly, this doesn't contain mc, so using the basic command line in /dev I do see a number of (possibly) relevant entries:

mmcblk0  ; note the 0, there is no entry without a digit
mmcblk0boot0
mmcblk0boot1
mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0p2
mmcblk0p3
mmcblk0p4

as well as

sda
sda1 ; being the Live USB image

The 'boot' part of the name mmcblk0 makes me wonder if this is a device that Debian names 'mmcblk0'. Is this a clue?

At a glance based on descriptions so far, it looks as if the UEFI is not
passing the existence of the hard drives on to the OS, for whatever reason.

Could you provide the full 'lspci -nnk' output, just in case there's a
detail that's not being noticed as relevant?

I'll have a try at doing this. The m/c isn't networked, but I'll put an SD card in and see if I can copy the full output onto that, and then post it.

regards, Ron