Re: Boxed W8/W10 PC; must anything be done, first, to enable dual-bootable later?

On 22/09/2015 02:30, David Christensen wrote:
On 09/19/2015 05:17 AM, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
First of all I'd do a complete disk image

+1

Do this before you boot Windows for the first time.

with e.g. Clonezilla.

I typically use 'dd' and/or 'gzip', as they are included in the rescue
tools on Debian installation media.

I'm part way there. I can boot into a live Debian, but Debian doesn't see the SDD HD; the only (meaningful?) entry in /dev is +sda (my boot USB / live Debian stick), followed by -sg0. Parted 'Print Devices' only lists '/dev/sda'. dmesg does not record any other device. Here's what I did:

I took this advice to use dd from Debian media and used a Wheezy rescue 'live CD' iso - because we have one already and didn't need to download anything; I'd checked beforehand that the rescue image included dd.

Because the machine [1] only has 2 USB ports, and my USB DVD r/w unit uses both sockets, I needed to use an image on a USB stick.

Following the Clonezilla instructions
http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php
to create a boootable USB looked a bit involved, compared to the Debian advice of 'just use DD to copy the .iso to the stick', so I put the Wheezy rescue image on a stick, instead of using Clonezilla.

This machine requires 'ESC' to switch into a 'start up' menu, in which F10 will enter BIOS setup. First I looked at the keyboard to make sure where ESC, and F10 were (they're hard to see because most of the Fn keytops are taken with symbols). Then I plugged in the power lead. waiting to pounce in case the machine started; it didn't. After a minute or two to let the battery charging sequence settle down, I pressed PowerOn, and hit the ESC key several times, got the startup menu, and F10 put me in the BIOS setup.

I've prepared the BIOS on this machine to:
- not boot without a password
- use an administrator password as well (in case some BIOS features are hidden from basic users)
- switch off secure boot (advice from a earlier poster on this thread)
- also enable legacy boot (this machine allows both UEFI and legacy boot to exist, *but* it uses UEFI first, so not sure how the system could ever boot from a legacy device since the SDD HD will always be found first); somebody did say not to do this - set the boot order in both UEFI & legacy to be USB CD, USB HD, inbuilt SDD, in that order

Saving these settings surprised the machine because, on restart, it said that secure boot was off, and did I *really* want to do that (yes, please) and, if so, enter a code from the screen. Then it rebooted and loaded the Wheezy rescue live CD, straightaway. With the rescue system you get a shell and I sudo'd into mc to look around at /dev, and the dmesg log, to see which device was the SDD HD so that I could set dd's of= parameter correctly. That was how I realised that Debian hadn't seen the SDD HD, and I double checked with parted. The SDD uses a gpt partition, of course, and I would have preferred to use gdisk to look around but gdisk isn't on that live CD.

I haven't started windows yet, and I still intend to use dd to image the 32GB SDD HD before I do run windows.

Any ideas why Wheezy might not be seeing the SDD? There is - apparently - some problem with the recovery partition on the SDD likely being a format that kernels before 3.16 (?) cannot recognise. But I wouldn't have thought that would also mean that Debian doesn't, even, see the device. (Unless, maybe, there's some kind of protocol between the software and the drive logic that needs to be followed, which the wheezy kernel doesn't have.)

Thanks to the several people who contributed thoughts to this issue, I'm halfway there. I'm also trying to download the smallest Jessie live CD, but it'll take a while. In the meantime, I'll look out for any other suggestions,

regards, Ron

[1] HP Stream 11 Notebook PC
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/default.aspx?cc=ie&lc=en&oid=8245635