Re: CPU overheating then shutting down while encoding video with ffmpeg

On Thursday 23 July 2015 08:23:20 Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 00:01:15 +1200
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> >Then you *would* be asking for trouble. IMHO, if anti static measures
> >are not observed, then it doesn't mean the computer will not function
> >but more likely a weakness to the chips occurs and then a failure
> >further on down the track.
>
> I'm aware of the problems and pitfalls;  I've over thirty years
> experience in the electronics industry.

Got ya beat Brad. 1949-????, 65 years so far, and still counting.  As a
friend says, beating the odds every day. ;-)

> >Of course nobody would be messing round in the computer without an
> > anti static wrist strap on, would they?

I have tended to look at that strap as a way to get
executed/electrocuted, but you can bet the whole farm that I have a hand
ON the chassis of anything I am also about to be touching chips in.

> Of course they do.  Most people don't care about such things.  Talk to
> the average Joe about taking ant-static precautions and they look at
> you as though you're speaking <insert suitable foreign language here>.
>
> >That is what I'm referring to, apparently compressed air is
> > recommended instead.
>
> The only time I've had any problem may have been as a result of
> blowing dirt into the PSU whilst compressed air cleaning - the power
> supply died within minutes of being powered back on after cleaning.
> It may have been a coincidence of course, but there had not been any
> indications of power instability before the clean.

I would suggest that A, not a strong enough  blast of air was used, and
B, that the fans bearings were damaged by overspeeding from the air
stream.  The fire siren whine as it spools up to 10x its normal running
speed is a cool sound, but to be avoided, I usually put a finger on the
hub & only let it turn a turn or two.  I regularly clean with compressed
air, but both of my compressors can make better than 100 psi. And I have
never had a PSU go south that I can connect with a good D&C.  YMMV of
course.

> ><wonders if Brad's computers last as long as they should.>
>
> Current machine has lasted well over 5 years and shows no signs of
> problems.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)