Re: CPU overheating then shutting down while encoding video with ffmpeg

Quoting Chris Bannister (cbannister@slingshot.co.nz):
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 08:40:52AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:05:55 +1200
> > Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Chris,
> >
> > >I'd be a bit hesitant to recommend to use a vacuum cleaner,
> > >wouldn't static electricity be a risk?
> >
> > Static builds up when the cleaner moves across the (usually nylon)
> > carpet.  When cleaning out a computer casing, you're going to be using a
> > hose with a nozzle on the end so the gliding over carpet doesn't occur.
>
> Then you *would* be asking for trouble. IMHO, if anti static measures
> are not observed, then it doesn't mean the computer will not function
> but more likely a weakness to the chips occurs and then a failure
> further on down the track.

If you're cleaning (or cooling) a laptop with a vacuum cleaner without
opening the case, then static is irrelevant. On a nylon carpet, you
are the biggest source of static whenever you walk across and touch
the casing.

OTOH if you open the case (laptop or otherwise), best keep vacuum
hoses away, for the same reason you can't vacuum a tablecloth with a
hose attachment.

> [...] apparently compressed air is recommended
> instead.

Far better, even if it's your own breath (with care). Compressed air
can blow the dust out from a distance, whereas a vacuum hose only
works close to. I would only vacuum components that have a grille,
like the PSU.

> Of course nobody would be messing round in the computer without an anti
> static wrist strap on, would they?

I've never bothered with these. I just rest my wrist on the chassis
when it matters. (But I do wear cotton shirts.)

Cheers,
David.