Re: CPU overheating then shutting down while encoding video with ffmpeg

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 00:01:15 +1200
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

Hello Chris,

>Then you *would* be asking for trouble. IMHO, if anti static measures
>are not observed, then it doesn't mean the computer will not function
>but more likely a weakness to the chips occurs and then a failure
>further on down the track.

I'm aware of the problems and pitfalls;  I've over thirty years
experience in the electronics industry.

>Of course nobody would be messing round in the computer without an anti
>static wrist strap on, would they?

Of course they do.  Most people don't care about such things.  Talk to
the average Joe about taking ant-static precautions and they look at you
as though you're speaking <insert suitable foreign language here>.

>That is what I'm referring to, apparently compressed air is recommended
>instead.

The only time I've had any problem may have been as a result of blowing
dirt into the PSU whilst compressed air cleaning - the power supply died
within minutes of being powered back on after cleaning.  It may have
been a coincidence of course, but there had not been any indications of
power instability before the clean.

><wonders if Brad's computers last as long as they should.>

Current machine has lasted well over 5 years and shows no signs of
problems.

--
 Regards  _
Stained glass windows keep the cold outside