Re: CPU overheating then shutting down while encoding video with ffmpeg

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 08:40:52AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:05:55 +1200
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> >I'd be a bit hesitant to recommend to use a vacuum cleaner,
> >wouldn't static electricity be a risk?
>
> Static builds up when the cleaner moves across the (usually nylon)
> carpet.  When cleaning out a computer casing, you're going to be using a
> hose with a nozzle on the end so the gliding over carpet doesn't occur.

Then you *would* be asking for trouble. IMHO, if anti static measures
are not observed, then it doesn't mean the computer will not function
but more likely a weakness to the chips occurs and then a failure
further on down the track.

Of course nobody would be messing round in the computer without an anti
static wrist strap on, would they?

> I regularly(1) clean our computers with a vacuum cleaner.

That is what I'm referring to, apparently compressed air is recommended
instead.

<wonders if Brad's computers last as long as they should.>

oppressing." --- Malcolm X