Re: boot hangs when no ethernet cable is plugged in

Am 09.07.2015 um 17:00 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> On 2015-07-09 14:57:01 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Am 09.07.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
>>> Wouldn't the right thing be to fix broken software? Software shouldn't
>>> just require $network, but something more precise and/or handle error
>>> conditions.
>>
>> Ideally yes. The reality is, that we have ~620 sysv init scripts in
>> Debian which have Required-Start: $network. Indirect dependencies not
>> yet accounted for.
>>
>> So fixing all of them would be a huge task which will take years.
>
> OK, but anyway, keeping the allow-hotplug line and doing link
> detection should be sufficient. Then, I don't see why systemd
> tries to force eth0 up, because if there is no Ethernet cable,
> one cannot expect eth0 to work anyway!

clarification: it's not systemd which which "forces eth0 up", but ifup.
systemd calls ifup via udev when an interfaces turns up and is marked
allow-hotplug. That's the way it's been done like forever. Even with
sysvinit.

> And I don't see why systemd tries to bring eth0 up for ifupdown users
> because this is already done via LSB (/etc/init.d/networking, which
> now does link detection).
>
> I've reported a bug:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=791920

As I wrote in that bug report, I don't think the ifup@.service unit is
the right place to do link detection (and neither is
/etc/init.d/networking). ifupdown should support that natively.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?