Re: boot hangs when no ethernet cable is plugged in

Am 09.07.2015 um 12:21 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> On 2015-07-09 10:46:06 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

>>> No, "allow-hotplug eth0" has always meant "when the interface is present",
>>> not "when an ethernet cable is plugged in". "auto" more or less means
>>> "always".
>>
>> So what, in your opinion, should it put? Many of the rest of us
>> would object if it didn't put an entry.
>
> Remove the "allow-hotplug eth0" line and have eth0 be brought up
> automatically when there's an Ethernet signal? I haven't seen any
> drawback yet.

The drawback is, that you might have (broken) software which depends on
$network.
/etc/init.d/networking provides $network and blocks until interfaces
marked auto (and interfaces marked allow-hotpug which exist at the time
the script is run) have been brought up.
If you bring up your interfaces via other means, /etc/init.d/networking
will simply do nothing (but still provide $network), so the boot
continues and software which requires $network will likely be started
too early and probably fail/behave incorrectly since they have no
network access.

If you use a different mechanism then "auto", you should write a service
which hooks into network-online.target and blocks until it has
configured the interfaces.

You'd have to write an equivalent to
systemd-networkd-wait-online.service or
NetworkManager-wait-online.service for ifupdown.

See also http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?