Re: boot hangs when no ethernet cable is plugged in

On 2015-07-09 14:19:48 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 09.07.2015 um 12:21 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> > Remove the "allow-hotplug eth0" line and have eth0 be brought up
> > automatically when there's an Ethernet signal? I haven't seen any
> > drawback yet.
>
> The drawback is, that you might have (broken) software which depends on
> $network.
> /etc/init.d/networking provides $network and blocks until interfaces
> marked auto (and interfaces marked allow-hotpug which exist at the time
> the script is run) have been brought up.
> If you bring up your interfaces via other means, /etc/init.d/networking
> will simply do nothing (but still provide $network), so the boot
> continues and software which requires $network will likely be started
> too early and probably fail/behave incorrectly since they have no
> network access.

Wouldn't the right thing be to fix broken software? Software shouldn't
just require $network, but something more precise and/or handle error
conditions.

The problem is that users without software really needing network
(at least at boot time), typically laptop users, would be annoyed.
This is the case with this machine.

But if one of the goals of allow-hotplug is to do link detection
(see my other message about that), then this is fine for laptops.