Re: can't disable Thinkpad touchpad

Quoting Haines Brown (haines@histomat.net):
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 01:08:30PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting Haines Brown (haines@histomat.net):

> > So we can assume that the pad works perfectly before you start X,
> > and that in X you can click in the root window to get the various
> > menus?
>
> That is correct
>
> > That's looks as if it's trying to start another Xserver.
> > You *are* typing "xinput" and not "xinit"?
>
> I'm beginning to suspect that's what I did (trying to fix the Thinkpad
> and get some work done at same time). Now when I log in as user, I can
> run the xinit command from a prompt and it kills
>
> > > So maybe I should put the command in /etc/X11/Xsession.
>
> I tried putting the xinit command in Xsession, but than I can't start X:
> "unexpected xinit: connection to X server lost". Also tried with both
> .xsession and .Xresources. Now I can't startx at all, and I removed the
> two files and the line in Xsession, but sill can't get X server to
> run: just a loop or lack of sync, and I have to reboot to get a usable
> prompt. In ~/.xsession-errors only that .Xmodmap not found.
>
> I suspect I have a basic problem with display that I need to resolve
> before worrying about touchpad. I can log in and start x as user or as
> root. But then any x apps that are running crash when touchpad is
> touched, and when I log out the non-X display is in a loop or out of
> sync so that I usually cannot get a prompt and can only reboot.

I'm glad that synclient could do the job.

I'm sorry, I can't figure out why you have ever typed "xinit" or added
it anywhere. I had assumed you used a startx command in a VC to start
your Xserver, as you don't use a DE.
And if by Xsession you mean /etc/X11/Xsession, that's a system file
and not for us to touch.

If you can rollback your changes without having to reinstall
x11-common etc., so much the better. And it's generally advised not to
start X as root for security's sake.

When you're in X, and if you type Ctrl-Alt-F2, say, is the VC as
screwed up as when you exit X with (I assume) Ctrl-Alt-Rubout.

And one thing that will probably not help at all. I start X with a
tiny script that finishes with
    /usr/bin/X11/startx >> $HOME/.xsession-errors 2>&1 &
and the consequence is that Standard Error output doesn't mess up the
VC. If SE contained any nasty control chars, these would get siphoned
off into .xsession-errors as well.

Cheers,
David.