boot hangs when no ethernet cable is plugged in

On my Debian/unstable laptop, when I boot without an ethernet cable
plugged in, the boot hangs for several dozens of seconds with the
following message:

  A start job is running for ifup for eth0

I suspect that the default /etc/network/interfaces file is incorrect.
It contains:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

which has the effect to start a DHCP client, which blocks the boot.
Removing "allow-hotplug eth0" solves the problem (and I use netplug
to connect automatically when an Ethernet cable is plugged in).

So, I wonder why the default file contains "allow-hotplug eth0".
This seems to be incorrect: it doesn't make sense to put eth0 up
only because the network interface eth0 is present, which is always
the case in practice. The condition should be that an Ethernet cable
is plugged in.