Slow LTO-5 tape.

Hi All,

We are experiencing extremely slow LTO-5 tape access. The basic info is:

    OS: Debian GNU Linux 7
    Hardware: HP Proliant DL160G6 (with both P410 and P411 cards installed)
    Tape drive: Tandberg SAS LTO-5

I note that the system is using the hpsa module now. In the past (on older variants of Debian) it used the cciss driver, and the speed of the tape was definitely faster then.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to swap back to the cciss driver? I note that cciss is still on the system - just not loaded. Is there any disadvantage to swapping back to the older driver?

I have tried creating a cciss.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d containing the following line, which I found on the man page for cciss:

    options cciss_allow_hpsa=0

But it does not work and the message "cciss: Unknown parameter `cciss_allow_hpsa'" comes up in /var/log/syslog now.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Paul.