Re: System freeze with multiple ttys in Debian Jessie

On Thu 02 Jul 2015 at 18:45:24 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 02 Jul 2015 at 17:58:35 +0200, August Karlstrom wrote:
>
> > Could it be related to the graphics driver? What card/driver do you
> > use? I remember having issues with switching between ttys when using
> > the NVIDIA driver in Debian Wheezy:
>
> I don't know. The machine uses nouveau and my graphics expertise is very
> low. Sorted the apparent randomness: use CTRL+ALT+F1 and go to a terminal
> in the usual way works for me.
>
> > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=168108
> >
> > However, in Wheezy I never had any such problems with the (free
> > default) Nouveau driver.
>
> I have another machine which has never run anything but unstable with
> sysvinit for many years. It also uses nouveau. There is no sign of this
> behaviour on it. Colour me stumped.

The colour has changed to "That looks like light at the end of the
tunnel". :)

The "exit" command is a bash builtin command. It causes bash to exit, as
does CTRL-D. When bash exits a getty is respawned with a new login
prompt on the terminal. You do not see this new login prompt because you
have been switched to X - but it is there; have a look at 'ps ax'. On my
machine I can get to it (X is on tty1) by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 (I stay
in X at this point) and then CTRL+ALT+Fn (I am now on ttyn).

The graphics driver route doesn't feel right as an explanation. I do not
know what the explanation is in any detail but here is something to do
which is constructive and instructive:

  mv ~/.bash_logout ~/.bash_logout-orig

and exit. Where are you now? X or a terminal?

The ~/.bash_logout files on this machine and my working unstable machine
are identical. clear_console(1) on both tells me the same thing.

  clear_console -q

on the unstable machine always leaves me at a terminal; on this machine
the command almost always puts me into X.