Re: System freeze with multiple ttys in Debian Jessie

On Thu 02 Jul 2015 at 17:58:35 +0200, August Karlstrom wrote:

> On 2015-07-02 13:50, Brian wrote:
>
> >There is no hanging this time but returning to a tty after logging
> >out of one doesn't occur most of the time. When it does happen it is
> >almost as though pressing keys at random is the trigger. A bug in
> >xinit?
> >
> >My ~/.xsession:
> >
> >xterm & exec fvwm
>
> Could it be related to the graphics driver? What card/driver do you
> use? I remember having issues with switching between ttys when using
> the NVIDIA driver in Debian Wheezy:

I don't know. The machine uses nouveau and my graphics expertise is very
low. Sorted the apparent randomness: use CTRL+ALT+F1 and go to a terminal
in the usual way works for me.

> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=168108
>
> However, in Wheezy I never had any such problems with the (free
> default) Nouveau driver.

I have another machine which has never run anything but unstable with
sysvinit for many years. It also uses nouveau. There is no sign of this
behaviour on it. Colour me stumped.