Re: System freeze with multiple ttys in Debian Jessie

On Wed 01 Jul 2015 at 08:30:52 +0200, August Karlstrom wrote:

> I run Debian 8.1. With X-Windows running in tty1, if I login on tty2
> (without X) and then logout, instead of seeing the tty2 login prompt
> the system switches to tty1 and X freezes; I cannot move the mouse,
> not even switch to a different tty. The only keyboard command that
> seems to work is Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Has anyone experienced this?

You appear to have two things you regard as issues:

1. Logging out of tty2 in some way you do not specify puts you back on
   tty1 with X. How do you leave tty2?

2. X is misbehaving.

The only way I can think of that you can have X on tty1 is by using
startx. Is startx the way you start X?

The second thing is whether this 8.1 Debian is an upgrade or a new
install. Which is it?