Re: System freeze with multiple ttys in Debian Jessie

On Thu 02 Jul 2015 at 07:07:58 +0200, August Karlstrom wrote:

> On 2015-07-02 00:20, Brian wrote:
> >Suppose you reboot. You will be on tty1 afterwards. Change to tty2, log
> >in and then log out with the exit command. Are you still on tty2?
>
> Yes, this works as expected. I then logged in on tty1 and started X.
> Then I logged in and out of tty2 four times and the computer behaved
> differently each time. On the first logout from tty2 I saw X on tty1
> flashing by before ending up on the tty2 login prompt. On the second
> logout from tty2 I ended up in X on tty1 (but with no freeze). The
> third logout was like the first with X flashing by. On the fourth
> logout I ended up in X on tty1 again but now the computer hanged
> completely.

Well, well, so it does. Not quite with the same sequence but logging
out from any terminal puts you back to X on tty1 and I can get a freeze
by trying to switch back to a terminal. None of this happens for me if
X is started on any terminal other than tty1.

Systemd handles the terminals so this very much looks like a bug in
that package. Do you intend to report it? I don't see what is special
about tty1.