Re: System freeze with multiple ttys in Debian Jessie

On 2015-07-02 13:50, Brian wrote:
On Thu 02 Jul 2015 at 10:50:07 +0100, Brian wrote:

Systemd handles the terminals so this very much looks like a bug
in that package. Do you intend to report it? I don't see what is
special about tty1.

I'm having doubts that systemd is involved in this issue. Installing
sysvinit-core and purging systemd results in similar behaviour when X
is started on tty1.

I get similar results if I instead run X in in tty2 and log in and out on tty1 - the X session flashes by or I end up in X and sometimes the computer hangs.

There is no hanging this time but returning to a tty after logging
out of one doesn't occur most of the time. When it does happen it is
almost as though pressing keys at random is the trigger. A bug in
xinit?

My ~/.xsession:

xterm & exec fvwm

Could it be related to the graphics driver? What card/driver do you use? I remember having issues with switching between ttys when using the NVIDIA driver in Debian Wheezy:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=168108

However, in Wheezy I never had any such problems with the (free default) Nouveau driver.

-- August