Re: System freeze with multiple ttys in Debian Jessie

On 2015-07-02 00:20, Brian wrote:
Suppose you reboot. You will be on tty1 afterwards. Change to tty2, log
in and then log out with the exit command. Are you still on tty2?

Yes, this works as expected. I then logged in on tty1 and started X. Then I logged in and out of tty2 four times and the computer behaved differently each time. On the first logout from tty2 I saw X on tty1 flashing by before ending up on the tty2 login prompt. On the second logout from tty2 I ended up in X on tty1 (but with no freeze). The third logout was like the first with X flashing by. On the fourth logout I ended up in X on tty1 again but now the computer hanged completely.

My ~/.xinitrc looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

#use settings in .Xresources
if [ -f ~/.Xresources ]; then
        xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
fi

#disable system beep
xset -b

#reassign right Command key to right Alt key
setxkbmap -option lv3:rwin_switch

bbkeys &
xscreensaver -no-splash &
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session blackbox

My computer is a MacMini from 2009 with an NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and I use the default Nouveau graphics driver. I had no issues with virtual consoles when I ran Debian Wheezy on the same computer.

-- August