Re: HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

On Sat, Jun 06, 2015 at 12:49:22PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I've gotten some help on the Ubuntu list, and can start the system by
> putting "term" at the end of the grub menu "linux" line.  My daemons all
> start normally, and I can log in via SSH on the LAN.
>
> Unfortunately, while "start lightdm" causes X to display a login screen,
> everything is frozen at that point, including the daemons that had been
> running.  Ping even suddenly reports no route to that host.  Still, this is
> information and progress of a sort.
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman
> #define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Sounds like X is borked. Putting term on the end forces a terminal and, posibly, single uer mode. Don't
have Ubuntu to hand here at the moment.

killall lightdm

aptitude purge ligthdm && aptitude install lightdm

will remove lightdm, remove its settings then install lightdm
with a standard config.

Grab a pen, paper (or another computer) - make a list of what's not working, make a list of commands you type,
make a list of what works. Probably best to single step this :)

You'll have run memtest, logged in via SSH and run top to see what proceses run, then what happens when you start lightdm?

AndyC