Re: HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

On 06/05/2015 11:51 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
I'm running Xubuntu, and have done for quite a while.  Right now it's at
14.04.   I just hosed it somehow, and when I reboot I cannot log in
because the keyboard and mouse are being ignored.

It's not the hardware, because the grub menu works with the keyboard,
and going to a recovery version of the kernel also works but it's
console mode, not X.  But when I try a normal boot, the cursor stays in
the middle of the desktop and the keyboard cannot enter my password.  I
have to do a hard reset because 3-finger salute is also ignored.

The last thing I did was to change my nVidia settings by deleting one of
my monitors.  That means X configuration, which also affects mouse and
keyboard.  But I cannot find an xorg.conf file anywhere.

Probably I just need to find out where the config settings are kept, and
I can reset them from a backup.  Does anybody know?

It's supposed to be in /etc/X11
Look and see if you have a backup there. Or, just run nvidia-xconfig from command line and reboot. If no xorg.conf file is found, it will generate a new one, so if you want a new config file just make sure no file named xorg.conf is there to be found. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html