Re: HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm running Xubuntu, and have done for quite a while.  Right now it's at 14.04.   I just hosed it somehow, and when I reboot I cannot log in because the keyboard and mouse are being ignored.

It's not the hardware, because the grub menu works with the keyboard, and going to a recovery version of the kernel also works but it's console mode, not X.  But when I try a normal boot, the cursor stays in the middle of the desktop and the keyboard cannot enter my password.  I have to do a hard reset because 3-finger salute is also ignored.

The last thing I did was to change my nVidia settings by deleting one of my monitors.  That means X configuration, which also affects mouse and keyboard.  But I cannot find an xorg.conf file anywhere.

Probably I just need to find out where the config settings are kept, and I can reset them from a backup.  Does anybody know?

If you're wondering: yes, I'm asking on an Ubuntu list, but there's more people and expertise here, and Ubuntu is still Debian-based.  I don't think there's anything Ubuntu-specific about this problem.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */