Re: changing from BIOS to GPT

Gary Dale a écrit :
> On 06/06/15 06:23 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> Gary Dale a écrit :
>>> I have a computer that was set up with an the older style partition
>>> table and wanted to convert it to GPT.
>> May I ask why ?
> Yes you may. GPT is the superior partition table, especially when
> dual-booting, as it allows more partitions without getting into the
> extended partition kludge.

<teasing>
For sure GPT is superior in multiple areas such as handling more than 4
partitions. However the relationship with dual booting is not obvious to
me. One single partition may be enough for multi-boot, as long as all
the OSes can use LVM.
</>

Now, let's be serious.

Before converting the partition table to GPT, was there an EFI system
partition (yes, an MBR disk can have an EFI system partition) ? If yes,
was that partition mounted on /boot/efi and did it contain
/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi ?

Whas grub-pc ever installed on that disk ? You can check with dpkg -l,
if it was not purged.
What are the sub-directories in /boot/grub ? Is there only x86_64-efi or
also i386-pc (meaning that the bootloader from grub-pc was once installed) ?

What is the boot mode in the BIOS/firmware setup ? Legacy/CSM, native
EFI, both/hybrid ? If EFI or hybrid, can you display the firmware boot
menu and does it contain EFI boot entries ?

When you boot from a Debian installer CD image (on CD or USB), does it
boot in BIOS mode (syslinux menu) or EFI mode (GRUB menu) ?