RE: How to boot without GUI

> From: curty@free.fr
> Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 20:16:15 +0000
>
> That seems to ring a bell, now that you mention it (seems I do remember
> intentionally installing gdm3 at some point on this machine). Except the
> name of the previous package was gdm (version 2.20.11-4) not gdm2.
>
> So Squeeze never provided a gdm2 package, you're wrong on that point.
> There are two versions of 'gdm' in Squeeze, one named 'gdm' and the other
> 'gdm3', corresponding to versions 2.20.11-4 and 2.30.5-6squeeze5.

Reco never stated that there was a package gdm2, just that squeeze
shipped with both versions.

There used to be just one package, gdm, and it installed the display
manager for gnome. That package was called gdm for gnome 1, and
was called gdm for gnome 2. However, gdm became unmaintained
as of gnome 2.20, and was replaced with a complete rewrite as of
gnome 2.30. But the rewrite did not have all the features of gdm (iirc),
so Squeeze shipped with both.

It's only with the introduction of gdm3 that people started referring to
the original gdm as gdm2. Before gdm3, there was only gdm.

Regards,
Arno