Re: wheezy: need help with serial port [really jessie, and now SOLVED]

briand@aracnet.com wrote on 05/28/2015 09:47 PM:

> what is the physical port, is it an actual rs-232 ?

Yes. ( Amazingly, such things do still exist :-) )

But I figured it out this morning. I was being completely misled by the error
message that came from the application, which made it seem that the port was
being found and configured, but wasn't working; none of which was true.

The real problem was two-fold:

1. /dev/ttyS4 in Kubuntu was /dev/ttyS0 in debian.

2. Kubuntu sets permissions so that everyone can access the port; debian does
not.

Once I had changed the configuration of the application so as to access
/dev/ttyS0, and added the user to the dialout group, all the problems went away.

Since it's an open-source application, I shall change its error messages to be
more informative.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR