Re: How to boot without GUI

On 2015-05-29, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> He wants to install a video driver, and needs to do so with X not running.
>
> [🔎] CACX6j8OJ-8BjL=6g6V_ucFnzEh+LkPc7ap_UuxZvumg620BTNg@mail.gmail.com">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] CACX6j8OJ-8BjL=6g6V_ucFnzEh+LkPc7ap_UuxZvumg620BTNg@mail.gmail.com
>
> startx was mentioned by someone else as a means of getting back to X after
> installing the driver.

It would have been more friendly and convenient had he asked a question
that corresponded to my answer.

Is this the thread where I said 'gdm3 service stop' rather than 'gdm
service stop' for Squeeze?  And you said you thought Squeeze used Gnome2
(confusing the display manager version with the version of the graphical
desktop environment)?   I don't remember.  For those who wish to start X
from the console permanently-speaking, well, there ya go, disable or
remove the display manager is one way to skin that cat.