Re: How to boot without GUI

On 05/28/2015 07:56 PM, Curt wrote:
> On 2015-05-28, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> If you want to boot to the console and start your graphical environment
>>> from there ('startx" and company) you must either disable or uninstall
>>> the display manager IMHO.
>>
>> Can you not just boot into level 1 in the first place if you want to run
>> completely without X?
>>

> Runlevel 1 is single-user/minimal mode.

When on Debian 6 I used the following two ways:

Method 1: While on grub menu: press "e" from the keyboard and then use
the arrow keys to go to the kernel line and add the word "text" at the
end of the line. After doing whatever it is that you want to do with the
command line you can use the "startx" command (as a user).

Method 2: While on your desktop: logout, Ctrl+Alt+F1, login from there
(I suppose that you will have to login as root to do what you want).
Then use the command "init 3" do whatever it is that you want to do and
then use the command "init 5 && exit" to go back to your desktop.

Strangely, the first method is not working for me right now (Debian 8
XFCE) despite I am 100% sure it was working with lightdm and XFCE in
previous versions, I will have to look into this. The second method is
not expected to work on Debian 8 because of systemd which reminds me
that I will finally have to do some reading...

Some useful links from the forums:

Regards,
Dalios