Re: How to boot without GUI

Quoting Curt (curty@free.fr):
> On 2015-05-29, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > He wants to install a video driver, and needs to do so with X not running.
> >
> > [🔎] CACX6j8OJ-8BjL=6g6V_ucFnzEh+LkPc7ap_UuxZvumg620BTNg@mail.gmail.com">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] CACX6j8OJ-8BjL=6g6V_ucFnzEh+LkPc7ap_UuxZvumg620BTNg@mail.gmail.com
> >
> > startx was mentioned by someone else as a means of getting back to X after
> > installing the driver.
> >

> It would have been more friendly and convenient had he asked a question
> that corresponded to my answer

I like it!

With no criticism of anybody implied, the OP asked the question "How
do I boot into a text only session, without the GUI being loaded, if
that is possible," (which corresponded to the Subject line) but added
"so that I can be able to perform this awkward installation?"

Consequently the responses divided according to how much weight they
gave to the second part, which might imply that root access was going
to be required at some point. From the original narrative, it wasn't
clear that rebooting would be required for the installation itself.

> Is this the thread where I said 'gdm3 service stop' rather than 'gdm
> service stop' for Squeeze?  And you said you thought Squeeze used Gnome2
> (confusing the display manager version with the version of the graphical
> desktop environment)?   I don't remember.  For those who wish to start X
> from the console permanently-speaking, well, there ya go, disable or
> remove the display manager is one way to skin that cat.

Happily, /lib/systemd/system/gdm.service and /lib/systemd/system/gdm3.service
are linked, which, AIUI, is the unix way. gdm is the GNOME Display Manager
regardless of the version of GNOME.

But, as a startx user, what are the benefits of running gdm rather
than, say, having startx at the end of .bash_profile?

Cheers,
David.