Re: How to boot without GUI

On 2015-05-29, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

>> service gdm3 stop
>>
>> (SysVinit).
>
> Which shows that you have 'gdm3' package installed.

Right.

>> Some people might have been confused by the fact that the name of the
>> package in Squeeze (gdm3) doesn't correspond to the version
>> (2.30.5-6squeeze5).
>
> But the most confusion comes from the fact that Squeeze actually
> provided both GDM2 and GDM3 :)

That seems to ring a bell, now that you mention it (seems I do remember
intentionally installing gdm3 at some point on this machine). Except the
name of the previous package was gdm (version  2.20.11-4) not gdm2.

So Squeeze never provided a gdm2 package, you're wrong on that point.
There are two versions of 'gdm' in Squeeze, one named 'gdm' and the other
'gdm3', corresponding to versions 2.20.11-4 and 2.30.5-6squeeze5.