Re: [Debian 8.0 Installation] Firmware files on USB stick with debian iso

Quoting Avinash Sonawane (rootkea@gmail.com):
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:50 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > But my workaround (to reduce bandwidth as much as I could) would be to
> > install with firmware-netinst as far as the first reboot and then use
> > the DVD you've got from then on.
>
> But then won't Debian will be downloading all the packages from
> internet while installing from netinst image? Can I use the existing
> amd64 dvd1 iso then? (instead of downloading packages extract from the
> dvd1 iso)

Yes, though I have little experience of that. You could try putting
the DVD (if you've got it or can burn it) in the drive and seeing if
it will detect it at the appropriate point (Detect and mount CD-ROM).

The really tedious way, which I think works, is to copy deb files from
the DVD pool into /target/var/cache/archives using VC2 as early as
possible. AFAICT if the installer finds the debs already there, it
will gobble them up regardless, and not try to fetch them.

The problem is there are an awful lot if you wildcard them, and you
don't know which ones it wants so it pays to copy as much as you can
manage. Bear in mind you only have a simple shell so it helps to know
the DVD layout for wildcarding the files.

> But then just to have a single 10MB firmware file is it really cool to
> download the whole netinst image?

Not really. I'm just tossing ideas about.

Cheers,
David.