Re: initramfs broken on Jessie upgrade

Bernhard Schmidt <berni@birkenwald.de> wrote:

Hi,

>> Since I could not find anything secret in the initrd I have uploaded
>> both images
>>
>> http://users.birkenwald.de/~berni/volatile/783620_initrd_ok
>> http://users.birkenwald.de/~berni/volatile/783620_initrd_broken
>
> It is _not_ caused by the initrd per se, I have just rebooted the system
> and edited the grub commands to load the .broken initrd, and it came up
> fine.
>
> I will make a snapshot in the broken state the next time it happens,
> maybe something else is broken. Except for update-initramfs I did not
> run any command, but the system was fully booted on the Wheezy kernel,
> maybe something else triggered a fix.
>
> I hope to upgrade a few more systems today, maybe I can reproduce it.

Got another system with the symptoms and managed to get a snapshot.

It is really extremely weird. The kernel output is

List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

This is reproducible. To fix it it is enough to boot into the Wheezy
kernel (even with init=/bin/sh), then reboot. It apparently does
something to the root-fs (fsck?) which allows the Jessie kernel to boot.

I have asked our Windows guys to make a screencast, it is uploaded here.

http://users.birkenwald.de/~berni/volatile/783620.mkv

We still have the snapshot available, if you have an idea please drop me
a note.

Bernhard