Re: initramfs broken on Jessie upgrade

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

Hi Don,

>> has anyone observed something similar to
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=783620 on their
>> Upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie? I'm still trying to figure out what's
>> happening, and I don't really know where to look.
>>
>> I was unable to attach the screenshot so far (mail is accepted but
>> never makes it to the BTS), I've put the screenshot here:
>>
>> http://users.birkenwald.de/~berni/volatile/783620.png
>
> Could you run something like this on the initrds?
>
> diff -u <( zcat workinginitrd) <( zcat brokeninitrd);
>
> It's possible that something has corrupted the initrds in some subtle
> way, or some part of the cpio archive has been truncated which causes as
> issue for the kernel but is ignored by cpio.

lxmhs63:/boot$ diff -u <( zcat initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64 ) <(
zcat initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64.broken )
Binary files /dev/fd/63 and /dev/fd/62 differ

with -a it outputs a lot of difference in binary, I can't figure out
anything there.

Since I could not find anything secret in the initrd I have uploaded
both images

http://users.birkenwald.de/~berni/volatile/783620_initrd_ok
http://users.birkenwald.de/~berni/volatile/783620_initrd_broken

Bernhard