Re: I need guidance about how to configure a newly installed Jessie ... great progress

On 20150421_1248+0100, Brian wrote:

> > > Yeah it would, it implies access to finer grained features than to the skill level of the person installing.
> > >
> > > Could be just me that sees it that way though. :)
> >
> > Nope, I think you are absolutely right. I never selected "Expert" install as
> > I am in no way an Expert, but it seems I should have.
> >
> > I definitely understand pretty much all that is offered there.
> > I might not use it all but "Advanced" covers better what the option intends
> > to offer.
>
> What does it offer that is more advanced than what is offered by
> partitioning and installing GRUB in the regular install?

In my case it offered the option of manual entry of an IP address for
the computer, as opposed to letting DHCP provide an IP address.

For experts, 'Expert install' apparently offers a check-list of things
to decide this time, like the pre-flight check-list for airplane
pilots. Experts in any topic tend like and use check-list, IMHO.

I learned that almost no one who has deep experience and real
expertise regularly uses the non-expert path and thus can understand
what a newbie is talking about when the newbie is asking for help with
the most recent implementation of netinst. Knowing the context of a
question is important to giving focused comment and help. I see this
as a problem worth thinking about.

I have no idea for a realistic solution. I don't believe any newbie
reads ALL the documentation that is available just a few mouse clicks
away from www.debian.org. Everyone has a point where they decide they
are ready to try it, and they stop reading and start doing. When
should that be? Who is qualified to critisize a mistaken decision?

Cheers,
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net