Re: I need guidance about how to configure a newly installed Jessie ... great progress

On 20150420_0911+0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:18:58 -0600
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> > I am trying to setup DHCP assignment, but it doesn't seem to be
> > working. Mostly the more things I try, the less things show up in the
> > list of attached devices. I hope I can recover from this experiment.
>
> Another option you have, that I would file in the "future experiments
> when everything else is stable and working" category, would be to see
> if your router is supported by something like OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
>
> They both have a lot more features than most manufacturers firmware,
> and give you a greater degree of control.
>
> Also, on my router and the one I had before, the list of DHCP clients
> was frequently not listing all clients. It may have had something to do
> with the fact that I set really long lease times, but I'm not sure. See
> if your router has a log, on my router I can even filter on events, and
> DHCP is one of the filters I can choose. Then you will see the requests
> come in and the router sending replies.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Petter

To all contributers to this thread:

We have been snipping stuff that seemed to be no longer relevant, so I
have to work from my own memory that I know is flawed.  The starting
point in getting control was to take note of exactly what Petter wrote
in a earlier post. It was only for IP addresses that were managed by
the router in its role as a DHCP server that the router box had any
control. For some reason this triggered my memory of a something that
*did*not* happen in what was then the most recent netinst of Jessie:

I did not see a question about whether or not I wanted to use DHCP.

I kept thinking that question would be later in the dialog, but it
never came. I am sure it was not there because I had neglected to
specify 'expert install', which years ago I had learned that I should
always do. So I have done yet another netinst of Jessie using RC2
CD. And the results are very different, and much more successful in
meeting my needs.

After the most recent netinst, the fact, already pointed out by
Petter, was obvious to me. The warning message was the same as always,
but my response was to delete the offending line from the know_hosts
file and try again.  It took a while to remove enough cruft from
various locations in memory of the various hosts to get the remaining
data make sense. I don't think I am finished, but I am on my way.

The lesson that I have for others who may find this email while trying
to debug a small personal LAN in your home is:

Always use 'Expert install' in doing netinst even if you know very well
that you are not an expert.

Cheers, and Thank you.
--
Paul E Condon