Can't send mail with Jessie

I am using msmtp to send mail. However, I get the error "Remote protocol
errot." The log file shows ""TLS handshake filed. Operation timed out."
There is no problem on an older Vinux system, which I am using to send
this message. The author of msmtp tells me that the problem is most
likely with the new version of the gnuTLS library that Jessie uses. If
this is the case the same problem would occur with exim4 or nullmailer.
Is there a way to get the older version of gnuTLS and protect it from
updating? What else would you suggest?

Thanks,

--
John J. Boyer; President,