Re: Is gnome-core *really* the gnome minimal install?

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015, August Karlstrom wrote:

> On 2015-04-14 17:10, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, August Karlstrom wrote:
> >> What advantages do you see with adding your own udev rule compared
> >> to simply starting a ConsoleKit session?
> >>
> >> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch <your-wm>
> >>
> >> instead of
> >>
> >> exec <your-wm>
> >
> > None really, except to keep system overhead as small as possible.
> [...]
> > I wanted the smallest, lightest install of Wheezy 64-bit I could
> > get. I started with a basic terminal system and added the rest
> > piece by piece.
>
> That's what I do too. I have a script that installs a few packages
> and configurations on top of a basic Debian server installation.
>
> > So, I just don't run (or have installed) a lot of "support" stuff
> > that normal "desktop" systems do. I even boot to a terminal where I
> > login, then manually start X and Openbox with startx.
>
> I agree, for me a display manager is one of those unnecessary
> features. Since I almost always want to use a GUI, however, my
> ~/.profile ends with
>
> #start an X session when logging in on the first virtual console
> if [ "$(tty)" = /dev/tty1 ] && [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then
>          exec startx > ~/.xsession-errors 2>&1
> fi

I didn't get that fancy.  I just type in "startx." As I leave my system
running 24/7, it's not that inconvenient.

> > Writing my own udev rules was in keeping with that minimalism.
>
> I tried to do that myselft but I never got it working. That's why I
> had to resort to ck-launch-session.

It took me a while to get the hang of rule writing, and I still am not
that good at it.  Lots of research and trial and error.  I still
haven't gotten the cd/dvd rule working 100%.  Can't get the unmounting
to work when the disc is ejected.