Re: Is gnome-core *really* the gnome minimal install?

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> According to documentations, gnome-core package is considered to be
> the very minimal gnome installation in Debian.  But in my personal
> experience it is not so.  Just after installing Debian, I installed
> gnome-core just to have the minimal gnome installation.  Then I
> noticed that totem, the video player, was also installed even though
> I hadn't.  Since I use mplayer, I did `aptitude purge totem' and was
> surprised to see that gnome-core depended on totem, so that removing
> totem would also remove gnome-core.  I did so, and now gnome desktop
> environment, even without gnome-core package, seems to work well.  So
> I ask to myself what gnome minimal install should really be.  I have
> Sid.
>
> Thanks for any help,

Obviously, you've realized (or soon will) that GNOME's idea of a
"minimal install" and your's (or mine) are diametrically different.
You'll never get what you want.  I know.  I've tried.  GNOME's "parts"
are too integrated, too dependent on each other.  That's one of the
reasons I've abandoned it entirely.  I like compact, light, fast
systems. GNOME, once a reasonably lightweight desktop, has now become
a leviathan.

I suggest you look at LXDE.  It's lightweight and very modular, and
designed to easily choose what you do and don't want installed.
lxde-common is what you install first.  It only has one dependency
lxsession.  It's NOT a metapackage.  LXDE does have one, if you just
want a working desktop with little effort. It's called --
what else? -- lxde-core.

Of course, if you really want TOTAL control of your GUI, a window
manager is the way to go.  That's what I did.  Installed Openbox.  The
same WM that LXDE uses.  A little more work, but worth it.