Re: Is gnome-core *really* the gnome minimal install?

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, August Karlstrom wrote:

> On 2015-04-14 03:20, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > The rule mounts and unmounts flash drives -- just plug and unplug
> > -- and cards (any type using an external card or multi-card
> > reader.  The caveat is: you must plug the card in first, then plug
> > the reader in. Unmount by unplugging reader with the card still in
> > it, then remove the card. Doesn't work with internal multi-card
> > readers.  Probably not with single internal readers either.  For
> > that you need a daemon like udisks-daemon set to poll each card
> > slot of the reader.
> [...]
>
> What advantages do you see with adding your own udev rule compared to
> simply starting a ConsoleKit session?
>
> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch <your-wm>
>
> instead of
>
> exec <your-wm>

None really, except to keep system overhead as small as possible.

This system is 4 to 9 years old depending on which part, and has been
upgraded numerous times, but even so was still showing its age as far as
performance. I wanted the smallest, lightest install of Wheezy 64-bit I
could get.  I started with a basic terminal system and added the rest
piece by piece. So, I just don't run (or have installed) a lot of
"support" stuff that normal "desktop" systems do. I even boot to a
terminal where I login, then manually start X and Openbox with startx.
I'm the only user.

Writing my own udev rules was in keeping with that minimalism.

Guess I could experiment with your way. Just for fun.