Re: Book questions

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:35:25 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2015 01:33 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:> OK, thank you, I will
> definitely consider Perl also, as I already know
>  > a little and have a few books on it.
>
> I'd advise learning one language well, where "well" includes security
> best practices.  Understand that learning any modern language takes a
> lot of time and effort.  So pick one that is good at solving the
> kinds of problems that you are motivated to work on, because the
> going will get tough and you'll have to find the tenacity to struggle
> through.

I can see the logic in that. The issue with that is that I need them
for two separate things - I want to learn C to get a deeper
understanding of how Linux works, and I was initially thinking about
Python for sysadmin tasks that I can't or don't know how to do in shell
scripts.

Maybe Perl would be a better fit for the last, I was at some point
thinking of learning _basic_ GUI programming, and a friend recommended
Python for that. He is also the person I am most likely to go to for
advice, so learning Python would be good, because that's what he knows.

> On 04/12/2015 01:33 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
>  > Unfortunately, [paid courses are] not an option for me. Books and
>  > online guides will have to do.
>
> I've learned several programming languages from books and articles,
> interacting with other people, and beating my head against countless
> KLOC's.  Formal instruction can accelerate portions of the learning
> curve, both by the experience of a guide (teacher) and by enforcing a
> curriculum and schedule of assignments.  You will want to find a
> mailing list, forum, user group, etc., for whatever language and/or
> problem domain you pick.

I have found a lot of useful resources online, and have bookmarked the
ones I'm most likely to return to. There are vast amounts of
information out there :)

Thanks for your advice, I think I should focus mainly on C for the time
being, and try to improve on my shell scripting rather than worry about
Python just yet.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"