Re: Book questions

On 04/11/2015 11:43 PM, Petter Adsen wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their answers in this thread, you have all
been very helpful.

YW.

On 04/11/2015 11:43 PM, Petter Adsen wrote:
Now that you mention security, that leads me to another question - are
there any good books on writing secure programs? I would guess that
would be a good thing to think about from the start, as to learn good
practices?
Another thing - I have been thinking about also learning Python, for
instance for interacting with GTK, and for writing things that might be
hard to do in C. Would that be a good choice, or should I look at any
other languages before I start?

On 04/12/2015 01:33 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:> OK, thank you, I will definitely consider Perl also, as I already know
> a little and have a few books on it.

I'd advise learning one language well, where "well" includes security best practices. Understand that learning any modern language takes a lot of time and effort. So pick one that is good at solving the kinds of problems that you are motivated to work on, because the going will get tough and you'll have to find the tenacity to struggle through.

On 04/12/2015 01:33 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> Unfortunately, [paid courses are] not an option for me. Books and
> online guides will have to do.

I've learned several programming languages from books and articles, interacting with other people, and beating my head against countless KLOC's. Formal instruction can accelerate portions of the learning curve, both by the experience of a guide (teacher) and by enforcing a curriculum and schedule of assignments. You will want to find a mailing list, forum, user group, etc., for whatever language and/or problem domain you pick.

There now are a number of university-level lectures and/or courses available online for free. For example, SICP 1 e.:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/video-lectures/

David