Re: Book questions

On 12/04/15 09:33, Petter Adsen wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:51:24 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
Now that you mention security, that leads me to another question -
are there any good books on writing secure programs? I would guess
that would be a good thing to think about from the start, as to
learn good practices?
I believe that this is where it gets into the realm of "How long is a
piece of string?".
:-)

>From my understanding, security is always relative, and, never
absolute - whether something can be breached, whether it is a building
or a software program, depends on the skill and persistence of the
person trying to do the breaching, and, importantly, luck.

It is like the principle "Just when you think that you have produced
an idiot-proof program, they design a more effective idiot".
Of course. Let me rephrase: are there any good books on _current best
practices_ to enhance security in code - in particular as it applies
to C?

I understand that security is a very complex topic, but I am interested
in learning how to write good, solid code, and security is part of that.
https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/c/CERT+C+Coding+Standard

There are, however, differing opinions as how useful some of the above text is:

https://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2000-08/msg00061.html

Some more:

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/secure-programming-cookbook/0596003943/

http://web.mit.edu/6.s096/www/lecture/lecture03/secure-C.pdf

http://www.nostarch.com/hacking2.htm

I believe that, similarly, the best way to learn good programming
practices, is to take courses at different educational institutions,
Unfortunately, that is not an option for me. Books and online guides
will have to do.

Another thing - I have been thinking about also learning Python, for
instance for interacting with GTK, and for writing things that
might be hard to do in C. Would that be a good choice, or should I
look at any other languages before I start?
I am definitely no expert in this, and, others could advise regarding
this, much better than me, but, my understanding is that, for what you
seek, Perl appears to be the answer, as it apparently includes "the
good parts" of various programming languages, including "C", and, is
cross-platform portable, and is supposed to be very versatile.
OK, thank you, I will definitely consider Perl also, as I already know
a little and have a few books on it.

Petter
IMHO, the issues with perl and python is that you will have to understand Object Orientated Programming (OOP) to get the most out of them, especially for GUI development. This was one of the reasons I drew a blank with perl. This may or may not be the case. Brett, any opinion on this?